A bronze statue of Nicholas Young, pointing with right hand while holding a mast with the other. This depicts the moment when “Young Nick” first sighted New Zealand from Endeavour.
Sculpted by Frank Szirmay, and erected as part of the Cook Bicentenary commemorations in 1969. The statue was a gift from the New Zealand Insurance Company.
Unveiled on 7th October 1769 by Sir Arthur Porritt, the Governor General. (see inscription below).
The statue was originally located in the children’s playground next to Churchill Park.
In 1988 the statue was moved to the mouth of the Tūranganui River, and is in such a position that Young Nick now points to Young Nick’s Head across the bay.
Nicholas Young was the surgeon’s boy on Endeavour, and at the end of the voyage was employed by Joseph Banks on his voyage to Iceland.
THIS STATUE DEPICTING THE HISTORIC
SIGHTING ON NEW ZEALAND BY
ABOARD CAPTAIN COOK’S SHIP “ENDEAVOUR”
7 OCTOBER 1769
WAS PRESENTED BY
THE NEW ZEALAND INSURANCE
TO THE CITY OF GISBORRNE
AND UNVEILED BY
HIS EXCELLENCY THE GOVERNOR GENERAL
SIR ARTHUR PORRITT BT.
G.C.M.G. K.C.V.O. C.B.E.
ON THE OCCASION OF
THE COOK BI-CENTENARY CELEBRATONS
10 OCTOBER 1969
GPS Coordinates: -38.669906, 178.015348
Cook’s Log, page 986, vol. 17, no. 1 (1994)