Sited by the side of Endeavour river.
The Address is Esplanade, Bicentennial Park, Cooktown, 4895.
Sculpted by Stanley Hammond, MBE
Unveiled 25.6.1988 by A.V. Gorrie, Chairman of the Board of BP Australia, who commissioned the statue as a bicentennial gift to the people of Cooktown.
On the plinth below the statue:
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK
COMMANDER, H.M.B. “ENDEAVOUR”
WHICH WAS BEACHED AND REPAIRED
NEAR THIS SITE 17 JUNE – 4 AUGUST, 1770
“HE LEFT NOTHING UNATTEMPTED”
THIS STATUE WAS COMMISSIONED BY
BP AUSTRALIA AS A BICENTENNIAL GIFT
TO THE PEOPLE OF COOKTOWN
AND UNVEILED BY MR A.V. GORRIE
CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD,
SATURDAY, 25 JUNE, 1988
SCULPTOR STANLEY HAMMOND, M.B.E.
GPS Coordinates: -15.462222, 145.249722
Cook’s Log, page 961, vol.16, no.4 (1993)
Cook’s Log, page 14, vol.37, no.4 (2014)
Image gallery (click to enlarge)