A teaching and research hospital, this is also a major trauma centre. A district general hospital, which also provides specialist services from one site.
In the main foyer is displayed a copy of the Nathaniel Dance portrait of Captain Cook.
A huge globe weighing over a tonne, near the south entrance of the hospital, illustrates the voyages of Cook. This bronze sculpture was designed by Andrew Burton and cast in Basingstoke. A large sextant is on the top of the globe, which was produced at a factory in South Shields.
Originally opened in 1981 as the South Cleveland Hospital, this was re-launched as the James Cook University Hospital on 26th April 2001.
Designated a ‘University Hospital’ by its backing from the universities of Teeside, Durham and Newcastle.
GPS Coordinates: 54.550137, -1.217750
Cook’s Log, page 1868, vol. 24, no. 3 (2001)
Cook’s Log, page 10, vol. 26, no. 4 (2003)
Cook’s Log, page 18, vol. 27, no. 1 (2004)
Image gallery (click to enlarge)