To the right on entering the nave of the parish church, and facing the Lady Chapel are two brass plaques. One in memory of Captain James Cook, the other in memory of Captain William Christopher. The plaques indicate that the two were friends,
A Sailor’s Memorial was originally dedicated on 20th February 1927 by the Vicar, Rev E.A. Douglas. This memorial was in the form of a pew terminal, and had an engraving of Captain Cook’s ship the Resolution, on one side, and his crest and the globe on the other.
William Christopher was presented with a copy of Cook’s Third Voyage Journal, possibly due to the Journal Editor’s communications with people connected to the Hudson’s Bay Company which shared results of its explorations.
IN MEMORY OF CAPTAIN JAMES COOK, NAVIGATOR
AND DISCOVERER. A FRIEND OF CAPTAIN WILLIAM
CHRISTOPHER, HE FREQUENTLY STAYED AT STOCKTON
IN THE OLD VICARAGE AND ATTENDED THIS CHURCH.
BORN AT MARTON (1728) HE WAS STABBED TO DEATH
AT HAWAII IN THE SANDWICH ISLES IN THE COURSE
OF HIS THIRD VOYAGE ROUND THE WORLD IN (1779)
IN MEMORY OF CAPTAIN WILLIAM CHRISTOPHER,
1729-1797. COMMODORE OF THE HUDSON’S BAY
COMPANY’S FLEET WHO ACCOMPANIED CAPTAIN
JAMES COOK ROUND THE WORLD ON HIS THIRD
VOYAGE 1776-79. HE PRESENTED TO THIS CHURCH
THE COMMUNION TABLE & COMMUNION RAILS
MADE FROM THE OAK OF THE “ENDEAVOUR”.
GPS Coordinates: 54.570455, -1.328982
Cook’s Log, page 6, vol. 31, no. 1 (2008)
Cook’s Log, page 12, vol. 40, no. 3 (2017)
Shields Daily News, 21st February, 1927. p. 3.
Image gallery (click to enlarge)