Round. blue wall plaque with lettering in white.
James and Elizabeth Cook lived at 126 Upper Shadwell, Stepney when they first married.
Due to redevelopment, the site of the house is now in the middle of the highway, so the owners of the nearest building, Ragalian Properties plc, allowed the plaque to be fixed to the wall of that building.
The plaque was placed here by the Stepney Historical Trust, due to the efforts of Julia Hunt, and it was unveiled by Richard Smith, the High Commissioner for Australia, the event was sponsored by the organisation Australian Business in Europe, as was held on the 4th September, 1991.
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK
The ablest and most renowned
Navigator this or any country
hath produced lived in a
house a few yards from this
spot. 126 Upper Shadwell
1763 – 1765
STEPNEY HISTORICAL TRUST
GPS Coordinates: 51.511258, -0.055594
Cook's Log, page 257, vol. 7, no. 2 (1984)
Cook's Log, page 785, vol. 14, no. 3 (1991)
Cook's Log, page 812, vol. 15, no. 1 (1992)
Cook's Log, page 3, vol. 37, no. 1 (2014)
Image gallery (click to enlarge)