The plaque on the cairn is octagonal, with points of the compass around the outside, and showing places in Australasia with their distances in miles. On the inner circle is the inscription below.
The monument is at Tomboon Roads, Lighthouse Track, Point Hicks 3890.
Point Hicks was named by Cook, but after a mix up over his positioning of the Point, it remained nameless until 1852 when it was named Cape Everard.
In 1969 the Government of Victoria decided to officially rename Cape Everard as Point Hicks, the unveiling of this monument formed part of the renaming ceremony.
THIS CAIRN WAS ERECTED
TO CELEBRATE THE
TWO HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY
LT. JAMES COOK’S
SIGHTING OF THE EASTERN
COAST OF AUSTRALIA
Written around the above is:
Officially unveiled by Sir Henry Bolte K.C.M.G., M.L.A.
Premier of Victoria. 20TH April 1970
GPS Coordinates: -37.802761, 149.275607
Cook’s Log, page 30, vol. 38, no. 2 (2015)
Image gallery (click to enlarge)