Description: Standing in a niche on the exterior facade of the Natural History Museum in Vienna, is a statue of James Cook. This is one of a number of figures showing inventors, discoverers and scientists, who contributed to world knowledge.
The Cook figure stands on the front right in the middle row near the Ringstrasse.
History: The building was built by Emperor Franz Josef of Austria between 1871 and 1881. The architect was Gottfired Semper and the statue was sculpted by Paul Wagner.
Plaque above the statue niche:
GPS Coordinates: 48.205774, 16.356084
Cook’s Log, page 5, vol. 39, no. 1 (2016)
Image gallery (click to enlarge)