On the corner of Stokesley Road and The Grove at Marton-in-Cleveland is the village green. Here is a piece of stone from Point Hicks, near Cape Everard, in Victoria, Australia, on which is a plaque.
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK R.N. F.R.S.
Placed by the Marton Parish Council on 1st April 1968, to commemorate the 250th anniversary of Cook’s first voyage.
BORN IN THIS VILLAGE OF MARTON-IN-CLEVELAND, 27th OCTOBER, 1728.
BAPTISED IN MARTON PARISH CHURCH, 3RD NOVEMBER, 1728.
RECEIVED HIS FIRST EDUCATION AT MARTON GRANGE.
DIED AT OHWHYEHEE 14th FEBRUARY, 1779.
THE STONE ON WHICH THIS PLAQUE IS MOUNTED IS FROM POINT HICKS HILL,
NEAR CAPE EVERARD, VICTORIA. THE FIRST POINT OF LAND ON THE EAST COAST
OF AUSTRALIA, SIGHTED AT DAYBREAK ON 20TH APRIL, 1770. FROM H.M.S.
ENDEAVOUR ON CAPTAIN COOK’S FIRST VOYAGE TO THE SOUTH SEAS.
THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED AS A TRIBUTE TO A GREAT PERSONALITY OF MARTON-
IN-CLEVELAND, BY THE MARTON PARISH COUNCIL PRIOR TO THE INCORPORATION
OF THE PARISH IN TEESSIDE COUNTY BOROUGH 1st APRIL 1968.
OS Grid Reference NZ 515 158
Image gallery (click to enlarge)