Plaque of a cairn which is on a hill in Paremata Block 64A, overlooking the Cove.
In 1964 an agreement was made between the Maori owners of the land, and the New Zealand Historic Places Trust to allow for the erection of a plaque, and public access.
Unveiled in 1966
HERE CAPTAIN COOK’S ENDEAVOUR’
GOT WOOD AND WATER. JOSEPH BANKS
AND DANIEL SOLANDER COLLECTED PLANTS
23 – 29 OCTOBER 1769
GPS Coordinates: -38.380133, 178.321082
Cook’s Log, page 311, vol. 7, no. 4 (1984)
Porter, Frances, 1978. A Sense of History. Wellington, New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
Image gallery (click to enlarge)