Granite monument with Cook-related plaques. Located at the entrance to Edinburgh Gardens on Alfred Crescent at its junction with Rowe Street.
The Monument has several plaques, one showing a likeness of James Cook, and another the likeness of the Endeavour, and three plaques with inscriptions.
The monument was the gift from the Fitzroy foundry owner J.A. Heyman, to the City of Fitzroy in 1937.
In 1985 it was agreed to relocate the memorial from the Fitzroy Council’s municipal Edinburgh Gardens, to the Melbourne Maritime Museum alongside the barque ‘Polly Woodside’, where it was on permanent loan. The monument was unveiled at the Museum on 25th August 1985 by Robert Martin, the President of the Captain Cook Study Unit – Australian branch.
In 1993 the monument was restored to its original state by affixing a new plaque of Cook’s ship ‘Endeavour, and unveiled on 27th October, 1993. This plaque was cast by Arrow Engraving, and funded partly out of the CC Study Unit’s ‘Bicentennial Fund’. This time the plaque was unveiled by the CCSU-A President Riemer Brouwer.
Since 1993 the monument was relocated back to the Edinburgh Gardens by Yarra City Council (which has absorbed Fitzroy Council in the 1990 local government restructure).
The Cook Plaque:
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK
THE EXPLORER OF THE PACIFIC
BORN AT MARTON, ENGLAND, 27th OCTOBER, 1728
KILLED AT HAWAII ISLAND ON 14th FEBRUARY, 1779
The Endeavour Plaque:
ON WHICH CAPTAIN JAMES COOK SAILED ON HIS
FIRST VOYAGE OF DISCOVERY IN AUGUST, 1768
THE Heyman Plaque:
PRESENTED TO THE
THE CITY OF FITZROY
J. A. HEYMAN
GPS Coordinates: -37.787765, 144.985522
Endeavour Lines, page 2, no. 5 (Feb 1985)
Endeavour Lines, page 1, no. 6 (Oct 1985)
Endeavour Lines, page 4, no. 8 (Oct 1986)
Endeavour Lines, pages 3-5, no. 22 (May 1994)
Endeavour Lines, page 13, no. 31 (Oct 1998)
Endeavour Lines, page 4, no. 53 (Oct 2009)