A 10 acre plot is preserved as an historical area on the Island.
An obelisk of concrete, with a bronze tablet affixed, to assert that James Cook took possession of the whole of the east coast of Australia.
One memorial was erected by the Commonwealth Government in 1925.
It is recorded that a number of monuments have been erected on this site, but were vandalised over the years. The latest was erected as a bicentennial project, and is almost indestructible.
LIEUTENANT JAMES COOK R.N.
ON THE “ENDEAVOUR”
LANDED ON THIS ISLAND
WHICH HE NAMED
AND IN THE NAME OF HIS MAJESTY
KING GEORGE III
TOOK POSSESSION OF THE WHOLE EASTERN
COAST OF AUSTRALIA
FROM THE LATITUDE 38° SOUTH TO THIS PLACE
AUGUST 22nd 1770
GPS Coordinates: -10.715029 142,39298
Cook’s Log, page 1354, vol.20, no. 1, (1997)
Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer, 21.7.1928. P.16.