In East Cove, Adventure Bay, is this 3.35 metre high freestone pillar, with two plaques, one on the seaward side, and the other on the landward side.
Presented by the Swedish American Line on a visit by M.S. Kungsholm to Adventure Bay on 19th February 1969.
The seaward plaque:
OF THE ARRIVAL IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK, R.N.
ON HIS FIRST VOYAGE OF DISCOVERY, 1768-1771
IN THE BARK ENDEAVOUR
SWEDISH AMERICAN LINE
ON THE OCCASION OF A VISIT BY M.S. KUNGSHOLM
TO ADVENTURE BAY, FEBRUARY 19th 1969
The landward plaque:
The Government of Tasmania
To Commemorate the
Captain Cook Bi-centenary
and his Landing at Adventure Bay 1777
Unveiled by the Hon. K.O. Lyons, M.H.A.
Minister for Tourists
on Saturday 2nd May 1970
GPS Co-ordinates: -43.393707, 147.267912
Cook’s Log, page 20, vol. 36, no. 3 (2013)
Cook’s Log, page 50, vol. 39, no. 3 (2016)
Endeavour Lines, page 11, no. 32 (Apr 1999)
Image gallery (click to enlarge)