Here is the last set of details of places named by Captain James Cook.
The name appears to have originally been applied to this area by Cook to a point of land further north.
Cook passed east of this island in 1778 and west of it in 1778. Its eastern end he named Anderson Island for Dr. William Anderson, surgeon on HMS Discovery, believing it to be a separate island. Later according to Captain F.W. Beechey, Cook found that it was part of what the Russians called Saint Lawrence Island, but died before the correction was made in his published account. Cook named the main body of the island Clerkes Island for Captain Charles Clerke of the Discovery, and its western end, which he shows as another separate island, he calls Saint Lawrence, taking the name from Bering.
According to Commodore Joseph Billings, the Chukchi natives of Siberia call this island E-oo-vogen which he spells on his chart Eivoogiena. He also gives the variant names Clerke and Sinde. G.A. Sarichev, who accompanied Billings in 1791-92 shows Saint Lawrence or Eivugen. Lt. Otto von Kotzebue gave the island's Eskimo name as Tschibocki, a name now preserved as Chibukak Point.
Originally published in Cook's Log, page 540, volume 10, number 3 (1987).
Click below for the other parts of this article
your email address will not be published