The statue is 6 ft 6 inches high, and stands on a 4 inch plinth.
Located in Wellington Road, Marton, adjacent to the memorial hall.
Marton village, dating from 1866, was originally called Tūtaenui (meaning dung heap).
In 1869 it was renamed Marton to commemorate the 100th anniversary of James Cook’s first landing in New Zealand. A number of early settlers in the district has spent their childhood years in James Cook’s village and the proposal was overwhelmingly accepted.
In 2004 the Marton Historical Society commissioned a statue to be built by celebrated local sculptor Robin Coleman.
The statue was unveiled on 5th September 2004, the 125th anniversary of Marton becoming a borough.
Plaque on plinth:
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK
BORN IN MARTON, ENGLAND
DISCOVERED NEW ZEALAND
NAMED IN 1869
THIS SCULPTURE WAS COMMISSIONED 2004
BY MARTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY
AND SCULPTED BY
ROBIN COLEMAN OF MARTON
GPS Coordinates: -40.068875, 175.377633
Cook’s Log, page 40, vol. 27, no. 3 (2004)