The Estate is at 495 Gordonton Road, Hamilton 3281, and is the only commercial tea estate in New Zealand.
The statue is made from copper, and stands about 2 metres high. It depicts Cook holding a map and telescope in his left hand, and striding purposefully past a capstan with rope wound around.
The statue of Cook was placed on the estate in June 2017, as a representative of the history of tea in New Zealand. When Cook was introduced to the Manuka plant by the indigenous Maori, it reminded him of the tea he drank back home in England. Manuka is used today in some of the tea produced on the estate.
This statue, and others on the Estate, were sculpted by the artist Mr Chen, who was the founder of the Zealong Tea Estate.
Plaque at the base:
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK
1728 – 1779
18th CENTURY BRITISH EXPLORER
WHEN JAMES COOK WAS INTRODUCED TO THE MANUKA PLANT BY
THE INDIGENOUS MAORI OF NEW ZEALAND, HE GAVE THE PLANT
THE NAME ‘TEA-TREE’, AS THE MEDICINAL INFUSION IT MADE
REMINDED HIM OF THE TEA HE USED TO DRINK AT HOME.
GPS Coordinates: -37,695475, 175,334297
Personal contact: Zealong Tea Estate Ltd, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Image gallery (click to enlarge)