Situated in the gardens of the quayside park on the harbour at Picton, the memorial is a concrete depiction of a ship’s wheel on an octagonal base, the whole surmounted by a bronze plaque on a concrete wedge. The area is an expanse of paving and grass for recreation.
Plaque dated January 1970.
CPT JAMES COOK R.N. F.R.S.
1728 : 1778
HERE ON 17TH JANUARY 1970 MAORI
AND PAKEHA HONOURED HIS CHARTING
OF NEW ZEALAND ABOARD ENDEAVOUR
9 OCTOBER 1769 TO 31 MARCH 1770.
THE FIRST LANDING AT SHIP COVE ON
15 JANUARY 1770 WAS RE-ENACTED
THERE ON 13 JANUARY 1970
COOK SPENT 101 DAYS IN SHIP COVE DURING
HIS THREE PACIFIC VOYAGES 1768:1778
(Note – Cook died in 1779)
GPS Coordinates: -41.290593, 174.001004
Cook’s Log, page 8, vol. 30, no. 4 (2007)
Cook’s Log, page 22, vol. 32, no. 2 (2009)
Picton Historical Society.