A plaque, on the east coast of D’Urville Island.
Unveiled on the 16th February 1985, this is one of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust plaques.
The unveiling party were welcomed ashore by the tangata whenua members of Ngati Koata, with full Maori ceremony.
The brief unveiling ceremony was led by Dr Neil Begg, who was Chairman of the Board of the NZ Historic Places Trust.
James Cook sailed the Endeavour
from this bay on 31 March 1770
leaving New Zealand and steering
west on his long homeward voyage.
GPS Coordinates: -40.825726, 173.857905
Heritage Listing: New Zealand Historic Places Trust plaque.