Sited at South End, Stromness’ single winding street. The well is protected by a glass door, with inscription placed on the adjoining masonry.
Named from the Login family, who owned the public house opposite. Sir John Spencer Login (1809-1863) was born there, he was the son of a shipping and whaling agent in Stromness.
In 1931 the well was sealed up, and the inscription below placed on the masonry.
Later it was reopened, and a glass door installed to enable the water to be seen once more.
(above the well door)
(on masonry at the side of the well)
THERE WATERED HERE
THE HUDSON BAY COY’S SHIPS
CAPT. COOK’S VESSELS
RESOLUTION AND DISCOVERY
SIR JOHN FRANKLIN’S SHIPS
EREBUS AND TERROR
ON ARCTIC EXPLORATION
ALSO THE MERCHANT VESSELS
OF FORMER DAYS
WELL SEALED UP 1931
OS Grid Reference: HY 25253,08497
Cook’s Log, page 841, vol.15, no.3, (1992).
Cook’s Log, page 1993 , vol.25, no.4, (2002).
Image gallery (click to enlarge)