Two plaques attached to the rock face, a few metres to the right of the cove.
The first plaque was placed by the federal government, with the second a few years later by the Nootka Sound and British Columbia Captain Cook Bi-centennial Committee.
The first plaque:
TO COMMEMORATE THE VISIT OF CAPTAIN COOK R.N., F.R.S.,
WHO SHELTERED WITH H.M. SHIPS RESOLUTION AND DISCOVERY
11 MARCH – 26 APRIL 1778 AND REPLACED TWO LOWER MASTS
WITH TREES FROM THIS ISLAND.
THIS WAS THE FIRST BRITISH LANDING IN WHAT IS NOW
PLACED ON THE OCCASION OF THE CAPTAIN COOK
BICENTENNIAL 26 APRIL 1978 BY THE COMMANDER, OFFICERS,
AND MEN OF THE MARITIME FORCES PACIFIC.
The second plaque:
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK R.N., F.R.S.
WHEREAS CAPTAIN JAMES COOK WAS DIRECTED ON HIS THIRD
VOYAGE TO SEEK A NAVIGABLE SEA ROUTE FROM THE PACIFIC
TO THE ATLANTIC AND HAVING EMBARKED ON THAT VOYAGE JULY
1776 ABOARD H.M.S. RESULUTION, ACCOMPANIED BY H.M.S. DISCOVERY
HE REACHED THE SHORES OF VANCOUVER ISLAND MARCH 1778.
ANCHORED HERE AT RESOLUTION COVE 31 MARCH TO REFIT
HIS SHIPS AND SOJOURNED HERE UNTIL 26 APRIL 1778
WE NOW THEREFORE, COMMEMORATE THE BICENTENNAL
ANNIVERSARY OF THIS EVENT ON THIS THE 26TH DAY OF APRIL
1978 AND DEDICATE THIS SITE.
THE NOOTKA SOUND AND BRITISH COLUMBIA
CAPTAIN COOK BI-CENTENNIAL COMMITTEES
GPS Coordinates: 49,718177, -123,157471
Cook’s Log, page 9. vol. 35, no. 3 (2012)
Image gallery (click to enlarge)