Obelisk, built of blocks of rough stone blocks, and triangular in shape with 2 feet high sides and rising to a height of about 9 feet from ground level.
The stone to build this monument was obtained from a quarry on the Kauaeranga Valley Road.
Unveiled by Mr J Thorn, MP for Thames, on 21st November 1941, originally sited by the Hauraki Bridge at Kopu, over the Waihou River.
In the early 1980s, the monument was re-sited alongside Kopu Public Hall, by the State Highway 25 in Kopu.
Bronze plaque on the monument
NEAR THIS SPOT
WITH THE NATURALISTS
JOSEPH BANKS & DANIEL
SOLANDER LANDED WHILE
EXPLORING THE RIVER
THAMES IN THE SHIP’S BOATS
OF H.M.S. ENDEAVOUR
20 NOVEMBER 1769
GPS Coordinates: -37.183698, 175.570021
Included in the list of national monuments by the Ministry for Culture & Heritage, New Zealand.
Cook’s Log, page 311, vol. 7, no. 4 (1984)