Memorial in front of the Returned Services League Club building at 11 Torquay Road, Hervey Bay.
A low, pyramid shape concrete structure with a flat top.
Hervey Bay was named by Captain Cook after Augustus John Hervey (1724-1799), later the 3rd Earl of Bristol, a Naval Officer, who became a Lord of the Admiralty in the year of HMB Endeavour’s return.
Erected by the Returned Services League of Australia.
Top plaque, inscription (too worn to decipher)
ERECTED BY THE
THE DISCOVERY AND NAMING OF
HERVEY BAY ON
21st MAP 1770 BY
CAPT’ JAMES COOK R.N.
GPS Coordinates: -25.281869, 152.840925
Endeavour Lines, page 13, no. 44 (Apr 2005)