Plywood models of Cook’s ship Endeavour.
Two models designed by Derek Phillips, of architects Glengarry, Corson & Pilbrow, for the Cook Bicentenary Celebrations in 1969. They were built of marine plywood by local joiners Storey and Lomas, at a cost of $300 each.
The models were placed on posts on Gladstone Road at the intersections of Peel Street and Grey Street, being made of lightweight plywood, they were originally intended to last for just one year, but they were not taken down until 1978.
In 1978, the boys and teachers from the Gisborne Boys High School completely rebuilt the models, overseen by Peter Pole. These cost $700 and were installed at the Chalmers Road and Derby Street intersections.
The models were again refurbished in 1999, prior to the millennium celebrations. The work was done by town criers and Council building inspectors John Dwight and John Kibble. Both had been employees of Storey and Lomas, and involved in the original construction.
In 2010/11 Awapuni Joiners spent 300 hours refurbishing the model from the Derby Street corner, when the steel frame and wooden mast posts were salvaged, and the rest was remade. Peter Pole did all the rigging for free, he noticed that the rigging on the original model was inaccurate, and Peter renewed the rigging as close as possible to the original on Endeavour. The framing was replaced by electroplated steel, and the all wood and marine grade ply coated with a marine preservative, before painting. The original canvas sails were replaced with sails made of plywood.
In February 2011 the refurbished model was installed at the entrance to the city on the Campion Road and Gladstone Road intersection, when a crane was used. At the same time, the second model was removed to be also refurbished by Awapuni Joinery.
GPS Coordinates: -38.655667, 178.008690
Cook’s Log, page 1092, vol. 17, no. 4 (1994)
Cook’s Log, page 17, vol. 34, no. 2 (2011)