The cairn is built of cobblestones, in the form of a pyramid. It is situated on the way to Round Hill headland.
Previously called Round Hill, this very small town on Bustard Bay was renamed Seventeen Seventy in 1970, 200 years after Lt James Cook came ashore here on 24th May 1770. This was the second place Cook landed in Australia, the first being Botany Bay.
The actual monument was erected by the Historical Society of Queensland, and unveiled on Saturday 12th June 1926, by Commodore Hyde, R.A.N. of H.M.A.S. Sydney, which had arrived in Bustard Bay the day before.
Plaque on the cairn:
UNDER THE LEE
OF THIS POINT
LIEUTENANT JAMES COOK, R.N.
ON 24th MAY 1770
GPS Coordinates: -24.16138279, 151.88709829
Heritage Listing: State Heritage classification, entered 27th March 1996. Place reference number 601614.
Cook’s Log, page 382, vol. 8, no. 4 (1985)
Cook’s Log, page 1201, vol. 18, no. 4 (1995)
Cook’s Log, page 1390, vol. 20, no. 2 (1997)
Cook’s Log, page 18, vol. 27, no. 2 (2004)
Endeavour Lines, page 14, no. 50 (Apr 2008)
The Brisbane Courier (Qld), 10th June 1926.