Cairn, in front of the Municipal Hall, built of rough stones cemented together, with plaque affixed.
Gold River is a village municipality, and was established for the lumber and pulp paper industry in 1967. This is the nearest village to where Captain Cook first stepped ashore in British Columbia in 1778.
The cairn was placed here by the Gold River Bicentennial Committee, in 1978, to commemorate the bi-centennial of Cook’s arrival in 1778.
CAPTAIN JAMES COOK (1728-1779)
HE ROSE FROM HUMBLE BEGINNINGS TO BECOME THE MOST
BRILLIANT OF THE LATE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY NAVIGATORS
HE WAS THE METICULOUS AND INFINITELY CAREFUL EXPLORER
BY SEA, THE MOST CONSISTENT AND THE GREATEST SAILING
SHIP SEAMAN THERE EVER WAS.
THE REMARKABLE CONTRIBUTIONS TO HUMAN KNOWLEDGE
RESULTING FROM CAPAIN COOK’S VOYAGES, HAVE AFFECTED
MANY FIELDS OF SCIENCE AND CONTINUE TO BE SIGNIFICANT
TO THE PRESENT DAY.
DEDICATED ON THE BICENTENNIAL OF CAPTAIN COOK’S ARRIVAL AT
NOOTKA SOUND – 1778, BY HONOURABLE WALTER S. OWEN Q.C., LL.D.
ON BEHALF OF THE GOLD RIVER BICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE
ON THE 24TH DAY OF JUNE, 1978.
GPS Coordinates: 49.778164, -126.049615
Cook’s Log, page 13, vol.35, no. 3 (2012)
Image gallery (click to enlarge)