The Memorial lies along Monument Track in Kamay Botany Bay National Park, which leads from the point where Prince Charles Parade meets Captain Cook Drive at Kurnell.
400 metres along the track is the sandstone Captain Cook Obelisk, opposite is the rock marking the spot where Cook landed, and here is the Isaac Smith Memorial.
The monument is in the form of three flat stones piled one above the other, with the inscription carved into the top stone.
On 7th February, 1948. Members of the Captain Cook’s Landing Place Trust and of the Royal Australian Historical Society waited for low tide, to enable them to reach the rock. The monument was unveiled by the retiring president of the trust, Mr K.R. Cramp,
Carved into the top stone:
According To Tradition
In the Cook Family
MIDSHIPMAN ISAAC SMITH
(cousin of the wife of Captain James Cook R.N.)
Afterwards An Admiral Of The British Fleet
Was The First Englishman
To Land On This Rock And On The Shore Of
New South Wales
April 29, 1770
GPS Coordinates: -34.00465, 151.216994
Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 9th February 1948
Image gallery (click to enlarge)
your email address will not be published