However another idea was put to William, namely providing an organ to replace the original one which was then nearly 200 years old. This he did, and in 1809 he commissioned the work to the celebrated organ builder George Pike England. Sadly he never saw his wish fulfilled, dying in 1810 shortly before the organ was completed.
George Pike England's art and skills had been handed down through several generations of renowned organ builders stretching right back to Elizabethan organ builder Thomas Dallam. Famous names along the line include Renatus Harris and Richard Bridge, whose organs were much admired by George Frederick Handel. George Pike England had a parlour apprentice, Joseph William Walker, who married his daughter and went on to found a famous organ building firm, J W Walker, which is still in existence based at Brandon in Suffolk with a facility in Devizes. The organ at St Mary's is therefore part of an unbroken tradition that has continued for four hundred years.
The instrument was originally built with three manuals but had no pedal board, as these were not generally introduced in small English organs until the middle of the 19th century. The organ was rebuilt as a two manual in 1916 by Hele and Co of Exeter, and a pedal organ was added. Hele and Co, a subsidiary to J W Walker, was very careful to conserve as much as possible of George Pike England's work, which makes the organ unusual in that it retains its classical pre-Victorian sound. Originally sited at the west end of the church it was later moved to its present more central position where it continues to provide its wonderful music, making it a great attraction to many visiting organists.